VMware have released update 4 for ESX 3.5, quite possibly the last update before vSphere4. Full release notes can be found here http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx35u4_rel_notes.html but the key features are :-
Expanded Support for Enhanced vmxnet Adapter — This version of ESX Server includes an updated version of the VMXNET driver (VMXNET enhanced) for the following guest operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
The new VMXNET version improves virtual machine networking performance and requires VMware tools upgrade.
Newly Supported Guest Operating Systems — Support for the following guest operating systems has been added specifically for this release:
For more complete information about supported guests included in this release, see the Guest Operating System Installation Guide: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition and Server Edition (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Windows Preinstallation Environment 2.0 (32-bit and 64-bit).
Furthermore, pre-built kernel modules (PBMs) were added in this release for the following guests:
- Ubuntu 8.10
- Ubuntu 8.04.2
and lots of new supported hardware.